Monday, November 3, 2014

A vegetarian dinner suggestion

This week, I've decided to share a vegetarian recipe with you that is simple and delicious. Two posts ago, I mentioned that I have a "go-to" dinner which is veggie stir fry. Today, I decided to just expand a little bit on that recipe and make it veggie fried rice. The "recipe" I'm going to share with you is just my version and very vague, because I want you to be able to experiment and find something that you enjoy!

Here is a general list of ingredients you will need:


  • A variety of vegetables of your choice. You are definitely going to want an onion and fresh garlic for flavor; the rest are at your discretion. Along with those, I used broccoli, zucchini, carrots, green pepper, and celery. I had these all in my fridge at home, so just use what you have!
  • Olive/coconut/grape seed/canola oil
  • Rice of your choice (jasmine, brown, basmati)
  • An egg or two
  • Spices of your choice/marinade of your choice, or both (salt and pepper are a must)
  • Soy sauce or sweet and sour sauce

Here is the (vague) recipe you should follow!

1. In a large non-stick skillet, heat about a table spoon of oil on medium heat
2. Meanwhile, begin cooking rice in a different pot
3. Once pan is heated, toss all your vegetables and spices/marinade in the pan and cook!


 Stir frequently. I cooked mine for about 15-20 minutes because that is how long my rice took too cook. They were a little bit crunchy because I like them that way. If you like more tender vegetables, cook for about 25-30 minutes
4. Once your rice is done and you are satisfied with the tenderness of your vegetables, turn the stove to low, move the vegetables to the side of the pan and pour rice into pan
5. Then, push rice aside to make a small crater in the middle of the pant and crack your egg(s) in the crater. When the egg cooks about halfway, start mixing all of the ingredients together until well blended. Let cook for just a few more minutes to "fry" the rice.


And that's it! I added a small amount of soy sauce and it was a delicious and filling vegetarian dinner. I hope my readers want to try this recipe and let me know how they tweaked it and how they liked it! Happy eating :)

No comments:

Post a Comment